The iPhone 12 Pro Max comes in as the most premium member of the iPhone 12 series of smartphones. It was debuted as the most powerful iPhone Apple has ever created, succeeding last year’s iPhone 11 Pro Max, which previously held this position. In comparison with the other members of the series, you have got the biggest display, the most powerful camera setup, and lots more.
Where to Buy iPhone 12 Pro Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max Key Specs and Features
- 6.7 inch Super Retina XDR OLED Display, 1284 x 2778 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (458 ppi)
- Apple A14 Bionic (5nm)
- iOS 14.1
- 6GB RAM
- 12GB / 128GB / 256GB / 512GB Built-in Storage
- 12MP + 12MP + 12MP + TOF 3D LiDAR scanner Rear Cameras
- 12MP Front Camera
- 5G / 4G Connectivity
- Fast Wired Charging (20W)
- Qi Wireless Charging (15W)
- IP68 Water / Dust Resistance
Design and Display
The best and possibly the most convenient way to describe the design we have here is seeing it as the same design on the other members of the iPhone 12 series on a larger scale.
The iPhone 12 Pro Max bears aesthetics similar to what we have on its siblings, only on a bigger chassis. It sets its self apart with its 6.7-inch display, which is the biggest in the series, even bigger than the 6.1-inch display on the iPhone 12 Pro.
Similar to what we got on its siblings, the iPhone 12 Pro Max’s 6.7-inch display is based on a Super Retina XDR OLED panel. The resolution is set at 1284 x 2778 Pixels, with a density of 548 PPI.
Much like its siblings, the iPhone 12 Pro Max’s display is fortified by a Cermaic shield, that lives under the glass layer of the display. This ceramic shield was designed to reduce possible damage on the display.
Still speaking on fortification, this iPhone also has an IP68 rating for dust and water resistance, which maxes out at 6m of water for about 30 minutes.
The new MagSafe feature introduced to iPhones this year wasn’t spared. The iPhone 12 Pro max also features MagSafe, a feature that will allow enthusiats attach different accessories to the back of the iPhone, with help of an iPhone.
One of the most discussed MagSafe accessory, was the MagSafe charger, which is basically a wireless charger that snaps and sticks to the back of the iPhone, making it easier to begin charging.
The cameras on the iPhone 12 Pro Max aren’t far fetched from what we had on the slightly less premium iPhone 12 Pro. They are basically the same. The only difference between both cameras, is the capacity of the Telephoto camera on the rear.
The telephoto camera on the rear of the iPhone 12 Pro Max, can go as far as 12x digital zoom, while the Telephoto camera on the iPhone 12 Pro maxes put at 10x. All other camera features are basically the same, aside from this camera difference.
The other members of the rear camera department includes a 2MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.6, a 12MP ultrawide camera hinged at 120˚, with an aperture of f/2.4.
lastly, we have a LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) sensor, which Apple debuted on the iPad Pro 2020. Which will help with augmented reality and also autofocus in the dark.
In the front, we have another 12MP camera with an aperture of an aperture of f/2.2, which is paired with a 3D depth sensor.
Hardware and Software
Championing the performance hardware on the iPhone 12 Pro max, is Apple’s A14 Bionic chip, which debuted as the world’s first 5nm processor. This is the same processor that was used on the members of the iPhone 12 series, it was also earlier launched with the iPad Air 2020.
The other performance drivers include 6GB of RAM, a 4-core Apple GPU and storage options that include 128GB , 256GB and 512GB.
No Charging Brick
This year, Apple took a bold step, to remove charging bricks from the package of this year’s flagship iPhones. All the smartphones in the iPhone 12 series will ship without a charger.
According to Apple, removing the charging bricks from the package, will help reduce the package size, which will facilitate a reduction in the package size, reduce the number of needed courier vehicles and finally would their carbon footprint.
On the software, the iPhone 12 Pro max rocks the iOS 14.1, Which comes packed with all the latest goodies including the newly introduced widgets.
The iPhone 12 Pro max features a Lightning port, NFC, Bluetooth 5.0, and Dual-Band WiFi.
Internet connectivity on the iPhone 12 Pro max is capped at 5G, which means enthusiats will be able to utilize 5G for streaming, downloads, and uploads.
iPhone 12 Pro Price and Availability
The price of the iPhone 12 Pro max starts at $1,099 for the 128GB Variant, which translates to 421,159 Naira in Nigeria, 119,528 KSH in Kenya, and 6,392 GHC in Ghana.
The 256GB iPhone 12 sells for $1,199, while the 512GB variant sells for $1,399.
iPhone 12 Pro Max Specs
Here are a few specs of the iPhone 12 Pro Max:
- Platform: iOS 14.1
- Processor: Apple A14 Bionic (5 nm)
- GPU: Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- Memory: 6GB RAM
- Colours: Silver, Graphite, Gold, Pacific Blue
- Dimension: 160.8 x 78.1 x 7.4 mm
- Weight: 189 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM / E-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.7-inch Super Retina XDR OLED Display, HDR10, 800 Nits, (typ), 1200 Nits (Peak), 1284 x 2778 Pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (458 PPI Density)
- Screen Protection: Scratch-resistant glass, Oleophobic Coating, Ceramic Shield
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 12MP (Wide) f/1.6 + 12MP (Telephoto) f/2.0, Digital zoom up to 10x + 12MP (Ultrawide) f/2.4, 120° + TOF 3D LiDAR scanner (Depth)
- Rear Camera Features: Portrait Lighting with six effects, Optical image stabilization (Wide), Five‑element lens (Ultra Wide); seven‑element lens (Wide), Brighter True Tone flash with Slow Sync, Panorama (up to 63MP), Sapphire crystal lens cover, 100% Focus Pixels (Wide), Night mode (Ultra Wide, Wide), Deep Fusion (Ultra Wide, Wide), Smart HDR 3 with Scene Detection, Wide color capture for photos and Live Photos, Lens correction (Ultra Wide), Advanced red‑eye correction, Auto image stabilization, Burst mode, Photo geotagging, Image formats captured: HEIF and JPEG,HDR, Dolby Vision HDR (up to 30fps), stereo sound rec,
- Front Camera: 12MP Camera, f/2.2, 23mm (wide), SL 3D, (depth/biometrics sensor), HDR, [email protected]/30/60fps, [email protected]/60/120/240fps, 10‑bit HDR, Dolby Vision HDR (up to 60fps, gyro-EIS
- Built-in Storage: 64GB / 128GB / 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: Yes (iCloud)
- 2G GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800, 1900 MHz
- 3G WCDMA: 850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66, 71 – A2176 – 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66 – A2399, A2400 – 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66, 71 – A2398
- 5G: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 79, 260, 261 Sub6/mmWave – A2176 – 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 77, 78, 79 Sub6 – A2398, A2399, A2400
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Lightning, USB 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with Stereo Speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS, and BeiDou, iBeacon Micro location.
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: –
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: Yes (Face ID)
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes (Siri)
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: Yes (15W Qi Fast Wireless Charging)
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Apple Pay
- Water Resistant: Yes (1P68)
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: –
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 20W Capacity (Wired)