Despite being intended to be a more affordable mid-range series, the Redmi Note 9 series always left like it was missing a 5G variant. Enthusiasts who felt the same way can now rejoice, as Xiaomi has released a 5G variant in the series, and it’s dubbed the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 5G. Details on its specs and price provided in this article is geared towards helping you make your purchase decision.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 5G Key Specs and Features
- 6.53-inches IPS LCD Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels (395 PPI)
- Android 10.0; MIUI 12
- MediaTek Dimensity 800U 5G (7 nm) Processor
- 6GB / 8GB RAM
- 128GB / 256GB Built-in Storage, with SD-Card Support
- 48MP + 8MP + 2MP Triple Rear Camera
- 13MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Rear-Mounted)
- Fast Charging (18W Capacity)
- 5000mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
Perusing the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 5G design and comparing it with that of the non-5G Note 9, shows a disparity in design, which is majorly evident on the rear covering. However, there is a high chance this design isn’t to leave you wowed as there it contains design elements we have seen on other smartphones.
The front panel bears a 6.53-inch IPS LCD display with a resolution of 1080 x 2340 Pixels and a density of 395 PPI, which happens to be the same parameter as that of the Redmi note 9.
What’s more, it also happens to bear a punch-hole camera as seen on its earlier released non-5G variant. With this, we can clearly say the front panel is basically a reminiscence.
Moving on the rear, you will find a circular camera module with triple cameras and an LED flash. The rear panel also features the Redmi branding, which is enough for a Xiaomi enthusiats to know its a Xiaomi smartphone.
Enthusiats who decide to purchase the Redmi Note 9 5G will have the options of choosing from a list of three colours that include Grey, Green and Violet.
The Cameras on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 5G aren’t far fetched from what we got on the non-5G sibling. However, it bears a camera less in its rear camera department.
Here we have a triple camera setup, as opposed to the quad rear setup on the non-5G variant. This rear camera setup comprises of 48MP primary camera with an aperture of F/1.8, an 8MP ultrawide F/2.2 and a 2MP with an aperture of F/2.2.
For selfies, we have a single 13MP with an aperture of F/2.3, which is supported by an on-screen flash.
Hardware and Software
The performance hardware is championed by a MediaTek Dimensity 800U 5G processor, which is a facilitator of the 5G internet connectivity.
The other performance facilitators include Mali-G57 MC3 GPU, a 6GB / 8GB RAM options, 128GB, 256GB storage options and a non-removable 5000mAh Li-Po battery. Enthusiats will also have an 18W fast charge mechanism.
On the software side, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 5G runs on the MIUI 12 interface on the Android 10 operating system.
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 5G features a 3.5mm headphone jack, USB Type-C port, dual-band Wifi, Bluetooth 5.1 connectivity.
Internet connectivity on here is capped at 5G, which means enthusiats can utilize 5G connectivity for downloads, uploads, and streaming.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 5G Price and Availability
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 5G starts around $198, for the entry-level 6GB / 128GB variant, which translates to 75,438 Naira in Nigeria, 21,958 KSH in Kenya, and 1,156 GHC in Ghana.
The 8GB / 128GB variant costs $228, while the top of the line 8GB / 256GB variant costs $258.
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 5G was announced on the 26th of November 2020 and was released for purchase on the 1st of December 2020.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 5G Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 5G:
- Platform: Android 10, MIUI 12
- Processor: MediaTek Dimensity 800U 5G (7nm) (2×2.4 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G57 MC3
- Memory: 6GB, 8GB RAM
- Colours: Gray, Green, Violet
- Dimension: 162 x 77.3 x 9.2 mm
- Weight: 199 g
- SIM Type: Nano – SIM
- SIM Count: Dual – SIM
- Display: 6.53-inch IPS LCD, 1080 x 2340 Pixels, 395 PPI
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Foldable Display: No
- Built-in Storage: 128GB / 256GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes, microSDXC (Dedicated slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: CDMA 800
- 3G WCDMA: –
- 3G CDMA EVDO: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- 5G: 1, 3, 41, 78, 79 SA/NSA/Sub6
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: –
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot:
- Bluetooth: Yes
- NFC: –
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: USB Type-C 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, QZSS
- Maps: Yes (Google Maps)
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (side-Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes (Google Assistant)
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 5000mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes (18W Capacity)